"Baptist Atheist".... an oxymoron if I've ever heard one.
I have started this blog to explain how I came to be, or rather came to admit, that I am an atheist. No doubt I will wander off into other subjects from time to time since explaining my atheism could possibly contain only a few posts. Then again, maybe not. As I was "saved" at an early age and I am now 50-ish there have been quite a few experiences along the way that have led me to my current (non) belief.
Thought for this day: How many atheists might be around you right now?
More than you think. For argument's sake I will use a statistic from an online survey that was published in my hometown (Midland, Texas) newspaper. The question was - would you vote for an admitted atheist? 87% said "No" and 13% said "Yes". (This does not answer the question of if the respondants are atheists, but it follows closely other surveys that indicate that about 90% of people believe in a Supreme Being and about 10% do not.) It is therefore reasonable to assume that in Midland, population approximately 100,000, there are about 10,000 atheists!
This brings up something interesting for me. I attend and am a member of Stonegate Fellowship (a Southern Baptist Church) that has a Sunday attendance of roughly 1500 people. Assuming that we have a fairly representative cross section of the population, there are about 150 atheists in my church every Sunday.
Atheists - rejoice! You are not alone!
I suppose Christians can rejoice too because they can smugly think "At least they are there to hear the truth!" and "We can convert them!"
NOT!
David
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment